But let me strive with earnest care, to have my heart go with my prayer
- To say my prayer is not to pray,
Unless I mean the words I say,
Unless I think to whom I speak,
And with my heart his favour seek.
Then let me, when I come to pray,
Not only mean the words I say,
But let me strive with earnest care,
To have my heart go with my prayer.
- If you worry, you didn’t pray … If you pray, don’t worry.
- God keeps His blessings on the bottom shelf. You have to kneel down to get them
- They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We shall remember them. – Laurence Binyon, "For The Fallen"
- May the Great God whom I adore enable me to fulfil the expectations of my Country, and if it is His good pleasure that I should return, my thanks will never cease being offered up to the Throne of His Mercy. If it is his good providence to cut short my days upon earth I bow with the greatest submission, relying that He will protect those so dear to me that I may leave behind. His will be done. Amen, amen, amen. Admiral Nelson 14th September 1805 upon embarkation on HMS Victory.
- At Trafalgar, when his flagship "The Victory" was closing in on the enemy,
Nelson’s flag-lieutenant found him on his knees in his cabin composing the following prayer:-
"May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my Country,
and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious victory;
and may no misconduct in any one tarnish it;
and may humanity after victory be the predominant feature of the British fleet.
For Myself, Individually, I commit my life to Him that made me
and may His blessing alight upon my endeavours for serving my Country faithfully.
To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend."
A few hours later victory came for his Country, and in defence of it Admiral Nelson had given his life. 21st October 1805.
- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
- Prayer is the little implement
Through which men reach
Where presence is denied them.
They fling their speech
By means of it in God’s ear;
If then He hear,
This sums the apparatus
Comprised in prayer. Emily Dickinson
- A prayer in its simplest definition is merely a wish turned Godward. Phillips Brooks
- God bless all those that I love;
God bless all those that love me;
God bless all those that love those I love;
And all those that love those that love me.
- Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you, God, for everything.
- God keep my heart attuned to laughter
When youth is done;
When all the days are grey days, coming after
The warmth, the sun.
God keep me then from bitterness, from grieving,
When life seems cold;
God keep me always loving and believing
As I grow old.
- Dear Lord so far today, I’m doing all right. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or self-indulgent. I have not whined, complained, cursed, or eaten any chocolates and I have charged nothing on my credit card. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think that I will really need your help then.
- If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
- Hearts that are nearest, hands that are dearest, greet you today.
Love that is sweetest, cares that are fleetest, be yours for aye.
Smiles that are truest, skies that are bluest, your path caress.
Hopes that are rarest, joys that are fairest, keep you and Bless.
S Cherwoyned (Wales 1910)
- May there be peace within you today.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
And "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
- May you, and all those you love, be so blessed and fortunate …
to be surrounded by people who will help you get untangled from the things that are binding you.
And, may you always know the joy of giving and receiving gratitude.
- Father, God bless all my friends in whatever it is that You know they may need this day. And may their life be full of Your peace prosperity and power as they seek to have a closer relationship with You.
- Father, I ask You to bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for, who are reading this right now.
Show them a new Revelation of Your Love and Power.
Holy Spirit, I ask You to Minister to their spirit at this very moment.
Where there is pain, give them Your Peace and Mercy.
Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence through Your Grace.
Where there is need, I ask you to PROVIDE for their needs.
Bless their homes, families, finances……their goings and their comings.
In Jesus’ Precious Name. Amen.
- God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray,
When in The Lord’s safe landing net I’m peacefully asleep,
That in His mercy I be judged as big enough to keep.